Monday, November 4, 2013

Citi Of Gossips

Just few months after “Crown” Which She produced on Jay Z's Holy Grail Album

16 year old Wondagurl goes on to score a Drake Session “Drizzy wants a banger”. She quips

Ebony Oshunrinde, aka WondaGurl, has been honing her craft since she was 9 years old.
WondaGurl’s talent first came to light at the 2011 Battle of the Beatmakers in Toronto, where as a 14 year old, she competed making it through to the quarter finals. She left an indelible impression with the quality of her work, and her calm, collected demeanour. It was this performance that caught the eye of super-producer Boi-1Da, who took her under his wing as he mentored her at the Remix Project Studio in Toronto. A year later, WondaGurl took the 2012 Battle of the Beatmakers title, resulting in a huge profile boost. Since the win, she has signed an exclusive management deal with Black Box (Shad, Classified), and placed cuts with French Montana, Travis Scott and just announced a cut (“Crown”) on JayZ’s much anticipated “Magna Carta Holy Grail”, which dropped July 4th.

As she completes 11th grade, WondaGurl continues to make waves as one of the game’s freshest and most exciting producers. Her age and the fact that she’s female have bent a lot of peoples ears, but her work is what has truly impressed people.
Landing a production credit on Jay Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail is already working its magic on Ebony "Wondagurl" Oshunrinde's career. The teenager, who constructed the sound for Hov's "Crown," is now in talks to work with
Drake.
"We went into the studio here in Toronto," the 16-year-old told The Hollywood Reporter. "He wants a banger. That's what he told me. So that is what I am going to make him."
Unfortunately, they haven't made much progress since their first studio session got cut short. "I had to go because my mom was calling me home," she explained.
Her "Wondagurl" alias is a nod to Drizzy's producer Boi-1Da, who gave "feedback" on beats she'd send his way. The two met after her Battle of the Beatmakers victory in 2009.
Now, with Drake and Jay in her corner, the talented youngster is swiftly becoming a sought-after commodity, juggling the music industry and high school. "I'll just continue to make beats at my house after I've done my homework," she said.
In the future, Oshunrinde hopes to work with Timbaland, Kendrick Lamar, Pusha T and Kerri Hilson and wants to inspire fellow female beatmakers. "Before all of the beat battle stuff, I thought there were a lot of female producers. Now that I am in the industry, I see that there are none. It would be great to see more females in the game. You are never too young to just do it.
The producer is one of the most crucial yet anonymous figures in all of music. Every now and again we aim to illuminate these under-heralded artists with Beat Construction. For today we spoke to Ebony “Wondagurl” Oshunrinde, the 16-year-old producer who landed a Sizzla sample on a JAY Z album. Here, she talks about piano lessons, hacking her childhood computer and senior year.
You’re the youngest producer on JAY Z’s album, and the woman who won Canada’s big production tournament, Battle of the Beatmakers. Does the task to represent young, female producers feel like a lot of weight on your shoulders? No, not really. A lot of people ask this, but I never feel that way.
Why do you think there are so few female producers working? I don’t know. I feel like some female producers just feel like they can’t do it sometimes. Maybe, that’s probably why? I don’t know many female producers and I would like to know more. I have no idea. Everything is just really easy for me, but I’ve seen a lot of female producers struggling.
What’s easy for you? I’m not good with people, but I’m really good with programs. I started fixing computers at like age 9. I would go on my computer and try and fix the viruses and stuff that it had. The computer was so slow—I just tried to make it faster and it worked. Then I started learning how to use software and all that stuff. I’m a fast learner.
Have you ever been able to share those interests with other women? I think part of the reasons that I am the way I am today is because I didn’t have any friends. I wouldn’t talk to anyone, I would just go home and do stuff. A lot of people hit me up now, though. I’ve seen a lot of people post pictures of their daughters, saying “You inspired this girl to make beats.” That makes me feel really nice.
Now that you’re making music professionally, do you find that you’re better at making friends? I guess. I’m pretty quiet though. I’m more social on the internet, or text.


Ebony with Mum (Right) Jozie Oshorinde (Left) Ebony WondaGurl
How did you start making beats? I made my first beats on this really small Casio keyboard. There was these little tiny circle drum pads, these turbo drums on it, so I’d just make drum sounds and loops. It was kind of weird how it popped up and I just started. My mom was surprised, because when I was smaller I didn’t like music and I always went away when someone was playing music loud.
Your mum seems really supportive. Is she a music person as well? She doesn’t do music, but she loves music and she’s part of the reason why I do what I do right now. She used to listen to R. Kelly, so I started from R. Kelly, then went on to Aaliyah and to Timbaland, her producer. He’s my biggest inspiration.
What’s The Remix Project? I got into The Remix Project last year; it’s this big program for photographers, designers, rappers, singers and producers and a lot more. They just mentor you and they just teach you how to be successful I guess. They’re really supportive. Having all those people around me, helping me, I got so much better from when I started out.
Where did you start? I didn’t know how to do anything, but I was making beats. I had this thing called Mixcraft: there’s different loops in this part of the software, and you just put them together. So I was making beats and releasing them onto SoundClick and posting them up on Facebook. Eventually I started using FL Studio, and then I mastered FL studio, or sort of mastered it. [In 2010] I saw a pop-up on FL Studio that said Battle of the Beat-makers; they have this little internet spot when you’re making the beats that shows updates. I clicked it and I tried to join but they said I couldn’t join because it was 19+, so I emailed the guy. He said that he’d change the age restriction to all-ages. So that’s how I joined the Battle a year later, when I was 14.
What compelled you to send that email? I felt so ready for people to hear who was. I really felt like I was good.
When you returned to Battle of the Beatmakers in 2012, you won. Did Boi-1da, a former winner, give you any valuable advice? He gave me little tips for FL studio; the little tips helped a whole lot. And he told me what type of beats I needed to take to the battle. All he said was “bangers.” That’s it. And that really helped. 


NOV 4th Nomercy PIx Studios Unveils Its Block Buster Movie directed by Hollywood extraordinaire Noma Abbe

The stables of Nomercy PIx Studios the Premiers the much anticipated block buster movie “Need Each Other” . Although Debut to hit cinemas across Africa by November 28, The Movie already is set to be released in the United States NOV 4th 00.00/23c (12:00am)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMA6bjPqrXU&feature=youtu.be
Storyline
A rich, dark and beautiful drama about when we question ourselves for doing the wrong thing for the right reason or doing the right thing for wrong reason. . . All breaks lose in a foster home, leaving two teenagers to make a difficult decision that could change their lives for ever, including a little 7 year old. Hoping to stick together no matter what but things take a tragic turn when source of their problems shows up last minute.....

                             Click e-art  to view the whole movie courtesy Gossipciti Magazine
 



 
http://www.joomag.com/magazine/gossipciti-volume-01-oct-1/0631690001381901869
http://instagram.com/gossipciti
https://www.facebook.com/gossipciti 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment